"Make no little plans...they have no magic to stir men's blood."
Daniel Burnham

Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Importance of Community


The beginning of my first “Blog” I just wanted a place to muse and consider topics pertaining to several important things in my life, Architecture, Community, and Nature. I recently have put serious thought into where I want to be, what I want to do, and how I want to do it. This is a very important thing to my life and the choices we make “echo in eternity.

Throughout my education, my philosophy of architectural design has changed drastically. I started as a young eager designer who revered the likes of Frank Lloyd Wright, Mies Van Der Rohe, and modernist firms, such as, SOM and Morphosis. While I can still appreciate the design skills of these artists, I feel I have devolved in a sense. I have pulled away from the shiny edifices of the future to the beauty and sense of community that the past has to offer. I am now, not only intrigued by the great masters of design, such as, Palladio, Wren, Jefferson, but also those that have carried the mantle of traditional design into this new age, from Allan Greenberg to Quinlan Terry. But even as the allure of these old and new artists I seek something else with my designs, community.

What does it take to create community in design? Some argue that it is not the architect’s job to worry about the ways in which people relate within and around their buildings. I take this as a chore that weighs heavily upon me throughout the design process. As of now, I look to the past for guidance on this journey. When I think of community I think of cities like Rome and Paris, where even the smallest of courtyards and palazzos where havens for community or (in the picture above) even the streets.

From time to time may post pictures, or sketches, or just thoughts about, but not limited to the trio of things that make me.

Enjoy

D…


No comments:

Post a Comment